Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Iinfinity Speakers

I just checked and those got pretty good reviews.

We NEED to know teo things.

One, does it use Watkins woofers ? I looked at a page or two on it and someone said they thought no. I am not sure exactly how to tell, but if there is a capacitor in the crossover like 1,000 uF or more, they probably are. What this means is by not using the exact replacements, they will not sound the same. Probably will lack that bottom octave.

I would suggest a phopen call to these folks :

http://www.watkinsstereo.com/

If they ARE Watkins woofers, refoaming is the very best option as long as the motor and xcone are still good. The place at the link above charges $65 each, which is a piece of change but way cheaper than replacing Watkins woofers. If you look at the procedure on youtube, the one with the complete job of aligning the voicecoil and not hoping for the best, and the cost of the new surrounds, the price really isn't all that bad.

If they aren't Watkins wookers and they are otherwise damaged or blown, relacemetn can be had that will sound so close (or even on a very slim chance a bit better but not much), that it will be worth it.

The second question is whether the boxes are ported or not, or have any passive radiators. If it is a sealed box it takes one kind of woofer, if ported or usin a passive radiator it takes a different kind of woofer.

An explanation of this is available at :

http://www.eminence.com/support/unde...dspeaker-data/

It's called Thiele small parameters. If it is a sealed cabinet, for example you want a higher Qts. If you can get the BL figures on the replacements, the higher the better. Actually that is probably true in all cases, but is more critical in a closed system. You don't see that parameter on alot of them out there.

Another parameter is Re, which is the DC resistance of the voice coil. Whilie it is related to impedance, it is not the last word. Some have more turnss of heavier wire and others have fewer turns of thinner wire. In my opinion, the heavier wire ones with higher inductance usually souind better but are not well suited for a two way system. Of course this is not a tewo way system so lower is better to a point.

These speakerds are probably below eight ohms and newer junkphonics amps don't take too kindly to four ohms. We just sold one of those old big ass Kenwoods to someone who said they were buying it because they have four ohm speakers. We understand, I have heard the difference.

So, to proceed we need whether they are blown or not, if the cabinet has a port or radiator and try to determine is the woofers are in parallel or series.

OR, it might be a 3½ way system using the top woofer as a mid/woofer and the bottom one just as a woofer. AM examination of the crossover should reveal that.

If you cannot tell for whatever reason we will go from there by getting more detailed info on the net somewhere, or you could most likely find out from the Watkins people. their phone number is on the website at the watkinsstereo link up there.