Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio Antenna on street lights

On 19/06/2014 22:06, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
scribeth thus
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room
where the router is instead of the whole house :S

These things here?.

If there're seemingly causing you wi-fi problems then I'd look elsewhere
for the cause of that problem as they work at very low power around the
868 MHz band waay below that used for wi-fi applications....

http://www.telensa.com/systems-produ...s-and-modules/

Scroll down a bit..

Could the council be planning to roll out "free" wi-fi on the streets?
The test signals prior to an announcement could cause the problems reported.

To the poster with the problem, try changing the channel on your wifi
system. It could be that by coincidence your neighbour has either just
installed wi-fi, or has changed their channel for some reason, such as
installing a new router. One of the network sniffer programs will tell
you if interference is likely to be the cause and suggest the best
channel to use.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.