Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default new motherboard

On 6/19/2014 6:09 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm looking for a new motherboard and haven't really kept up with
computer technology for several years now.

If I can re-use the CPU, I will save the cost of this part PLUS greedy
greedy M$oft won't make me pay for ANOTHER win 7 OS disk. I don't want
to reuse it if I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Belarc says its
a 3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core. The current MB manual says its
an AM3+ socket.

OK, I'm looking for a file storage and internet surfer machine, don't
need blazing speed, or a lot of memory. So I went to Newegg for MBs,
selected AM3+ socket, FX type processor, and started looking for ones
with lots of SATA and other slots. I came up with these tentative
results: http://tinyurl.com/nofnueh I made some selections to narrow
the field that aren't really needed.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track to re use this CPU? If we're
good to go with one of these, I'll want to double check if the memory
I have is compatible, Belarc says I got 2 each 4 meg sticks. The
existing MB manual says DDR3. Not sure how to double check the memory
speed.

Karl

You've been less than forthcoming about why you want a new motherboard.
The one you have is way better than you need for what you say you want
to do.
Is it broke?
How broke?

I get all my computers at garage sales.
Most of the "broken" ones were fixed by blowing the dust out of the
cpu heat sink. The rest required changing a couple of caps.

If you like to tinker or are cheap, it's worth at least making an attempt
to fix it.

If you're made of money or just want a new machine, go buy a machine.

Everything in the middle is a crap shoot. Mixing stuff is fraught with
issues.
I bought a CPU to upgrade a motherboard. Turns out that the cpu is
fully compatible with the hardware, but the bios cpu table was never
upgraded
to recognize it...and never will be.
Unless the motherboard specifically calls out compatibility with the
EXACT processor you have, you're in for a bumpy ride.