Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Infrared grills

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:13:44 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 08:28:01 -0700, SteveB wrote:

According to the God-fearing Republicans over at Fox News (and

Republicans don't lie) :

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...-cause-cancer/

I see the words,"so far, it is unsure ..............." So,to err on the

side of good, let's just run around willy nilly chicken little until the

facts come in, like we do on every other thing. I think if eating

charred meat were bad, we'd be extinct by now, or have incredibly higher

cancer rates. But then, when you talk on a cell phone, and eat burnt

meat, your chances must soar meteorically, as everyone knows now that

talking with a cell phone next to your ear causes cancer.

Those who are most afraid of life are those afraid to live it. Everyone

dies from something. Spend your time on living things, and not things

that are rumored to kill you. Next week, it will be canned peaches.

Sheesh.

Steve,

You made my day. Glad to see you in good spirits. I think you just

poked the guy's eye out, I hope he doesn't die. I almost had a little

char on my homemade egg rolls last night...

(tears in my eyes)

I went over the the American Heat Assoc and used the heart attack risk
calculator. I'd done it years ago, but Kurt brought it up and got me
thinking about it again. Like Kurt said, it puts things into perspective.
You can put actual numbers in for blood pressure, weight, height,
cholesterol numbers, and see what happens. The interesting part is
someone at ideal weight for their height, 120/80 BP,
cholesterol at the recommended low levels, my age, has 6% chance of having
a heart attack in the next ten years. Change it to overweight, 149/110, cholesterol way above recommended, and you get an 8% chance. And the
overweight part can be just one pound over ideal or up to about 35 pounds
over.

So, fix all those things and you go from 8% to 6%. As Kurt pointed out,
the media would report that as your risk of hear attack is 33% greater,
if you don't fix it,
but given the risk goes from 6% to just 8%, is it worth it?
Even more interesting and profoundly
dumb in my opinion is that at the end they show you things that you
could change, ie BP, cholesterol, stop smoking. Nothing there at all for
WEIGHT. IMO, that whole thing is a farce. Because it does ask you if
you have diabetes and that raises the risk of a heart attack tremendously,
How do you get diabetes? By being significantly overweight, yet since
they have no mention of it in the things you can change, apparently the
AHA has given up on obesity. And by the results of the calculator being
35 pounds overweight only increases your risk slightly.