Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new motherboard

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new motherboard and haven't really kept up with
computer technology for several years now.

If I can re-use the CPU, I will save the cost of this part PLUS
greedy
greedy M$oft won't make me pay for ANOTHER win 7 OS disk. I don't
want
to reuse it if I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Belarc says
its
a 3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core. The current MB manual says
its
an AM3+ socket.

OK, I'm looking for a file storage and internet surfer machine,
don't
need blazing speed, or a lot of memory. So I went to Newegg for MBs,
selected AM3+ socket, FX type processor, and started looking for
ones
with lots of SATA and other slots. I came up with these tentative
results: http://tinyurl.com/nofnueh I made some selections to
narrow
the field that aren't really needed.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track to re use this CPU? If
we're
good to go with one of these, I'll want to double check if the
memory
I have is compatible, Belarc says I got 2 each 4 meg sticks. The
existing MB manual says DDR3. Not sure how to double check the
memory
speed.

Karl

These are good and free if the computer still works.
http://www.hwinfo.com/
http://www.cpuid.com/
You could also try the Crucial Advisor
http://www.crucial.com/

I have only refurbished business Dells that don't upgrade easily so I
can't help with mobos or moving the OS.
-jsw