Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Can I bleach red oak so that it stains close to white oak?

On Friday, July 12, 2002 4:46:12 PM UTC-7, keith edward wrote:
Hello,

I have some really nice white oak flooring that I picked up. I really
like the brown tones, as opposed to the red/orange tones that come
with red oak.

I can not seem to find white oak posts and rails that I can stain to
match the white oak floor. I can pick up lots of red oak posts/rails
cheap, but the stained red oak looks horrible next to the white
oak....

I have heard you can do some tricks with red oak so that it looks more
like white... what are your experiences? Can this be done? How?

Thanks for any and all info...
Keith

Depending on exactly how the WO is colored you could probably get close by dying. Just buy three or 4 colors of transtint liquid and start playing. They have primary colors like yellow, etc. but also something like antique maple, etc. Just try mix and match, keeping records of the mixes, use lots of samples and dial it in. Once you get close be sure to take the extra step of varnish because it will also change the color quite a bit and dye's look horrible before they are covered with a film finish but jump to life after.

P.S. I think you mostly want a light wash of yellow to bring Red Oak towards White oak shades.

You think? I wonder if red oak and white oak in your neck of the woods
are a different color than what we get in SE Texas.

Down here red oak is similar in color as white oak when unfinished.
Sanded red oak has a pink cast. Once both have a clear finish however
the red oak is golden in color and white oak has a medium brown color.
I steer more toward using white oak these days to get away from the
golden yellowy color that red oak has.