Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Auto repair shop parts markup

rangerssuck wrote:
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:37:05 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 09:15:38 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:

The wife's car was making some rubbing noise from a rear wheel. I pulled
of the wheel and found significant (structural) rust on the brake drum.
I didn't have time to do this myself, so I took it to a local garage
where they've done good work for me in the past.
I checked the price of drums & shoes on Autozone's web site (there's
actually an Autozone store directly across the street from this garage),
and figured an hour & a half for labor. It turns out that I was spot on
with the labor, but he charged me almost exactly DOUBLE Autozone's price
for the parts.
I gotta figure that he get's maybe a 15 or 20 percent discount on the
parts, and I would have been OK with a 20 or 25% markup over list, but
this seems kind of excessive. He's entitled to earn a living and all,
but a hundred bucks to walk across the street?
It's been a long time since I was in the mechanic business, and I'm
wondering whether this is the new normal?

Bet you were charged list price. Not uncommon these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6pyR6YfKP4

I usually charge @ cost + 50% of cost vs. list pricing.

So if my cost on a part is $20.00 and it shows a $45.00 list the part
cost will be $32.50

--
Steve W.