Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to attach to roof tiles

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 00:38:08 +0100, Johny B Good wrote:

Rescued mine from the garage, not a lot inside. Connected across

the
PV panel is a blue LED and 5k1 resistor. The ouput has a 1N400?

diode
in series, that's the sum total of bits inside. Don't know what

the ?
is as that's against the tiny bit of PCB.

The diode is most likely a 1N4001, the lowest PIV rating of that
series, one or two hundred volts afair.

1N4001 is 50 V. B-) Well I just looked at th spec to get the
leakage.

I replaced the self flashing blue LED with an ordinary blue LED

Mine has an ordinary LED, without a load it stays on. Once there is a
bit of load it starts to flash. I guess this is some interaction
between the panel load and LED. LED off volts rise, LED lights
increase load, volts drop, LED goes out less load, volts rise...

The last time I checked the charging voltage I think it was set to 54.3v
open circuit which may well explain the relatively short lif of the
SLAs (although not for the even shorter life of the car batteries).

Car batteries really don't like any deep discharge and aren't that
keen on constant charging either. So I'm not surprised they died PDQ,
I'm also on the look out for 4 12 V deep discharge batteries for the
2 kVA UPS I have kicking about. Ideally things greater than 100 AHr
but then they'll probably be flooded and vented so not ideal for
being in the equipment cupboard. Back of the garage and run a
"maintained" mains feed in is probably the best option but I've heard
stories that UPS's might object to long output cables.

--
Cheers
Dave.