Barry N. Turner

Default New turner and issues of procedure

Kevin,

Take a beginning turning class as soon as you can or spend a few hours with
an experienced turner before you get too entrenched in your bad habit.

"White Knuckling" your tools doesn't make them cut better and more than
"white knuckling" the steering wheel makes you a better driver.

Please don't forget, "If turning isn't fun, you aren't doing it right."
Done right, turning should relieve stress, not create it. Good luck. Let
us know how it goes.

Barry

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hello all,

I got a new lathe a little over a month ago and have noticed a few things
that I would appreciate some comments on - in particular physical
strains/difficulties.

When turning I tend to hang on to the tool- be it a skew, gouge, or
scraper - like grim death. Within a couple weeks, I've noticed a pain in

my
upper back/neck area. I assume this is at least in part due to how

tightly
I am gripping the tool handle.I use an overhand grip on the tool and my
little finger is pressed against the tool rest. After a time, my whole

hand
becomes numb.

Have any of you also experienced these discomforts? If so, how did you

deal
with them?

Thanks,
-k