CA Savoy

Default New turner and issues of procedure

"Kevin" wrote in message ...
Hello all,

I got a new lathe a little over a month ago and have noticed a few things
that I would appreciate some comments on - in particular physical
strains/difficulties.

When turning I tend to hang on to the tool- be it a skew, gouge, or
scraper - like grim death. Within a couple weeks, I've noticed a pain in my
upper back/neck area. I assume this is at least in part due to how tightly
I am gripping the tool handle.I use an overhand grip on the tool and my
little finger is pressed against the tool rest. After a time, my whole hand
becomes numb.

Have any of you also experienced these discomforts? If so, how did you deal
with them?

Thanks,
-k

Kevin: We have a turning club in your area Capital Area Woodturners.
You can find our brochures at the Woodcraft store in Springfield Va.
Come see us and all your troubles will go away. Nothing is better than
hands on training.

CA