Posted to alt.home.repair
philo  philo  is offline

Default 120v 60Hz surround sound system in European-socket

On 06/17/2014 06:44 PM, John Galt wrote:
Hey,
So I've been using a simple adapter piece for my computer and phone etc..
and all have charged fine. I've used that piece for my american surround
system (120v 60hz). It initially turned on, made a "whomp" noise, usually
like when I turn my amp on, however it didn't come back on. Have I blown
it? if I get a power converter, will it work again?
Many thanks,

If it's a standard desktop or tower, there is a switch on the power
supply to change the input to 240 so you would not need an adapter for that.

Also: If the monitor and phone operate off a so called "power brick"
read the label carefully as some are designed for 115/230 volts
automatically.

The less hardware you need connected to your 115/230 transformer, the
less the chance of you exceeding it's rating.