Default New turner and issues of procedure

snip
Kevin wrote:
When turning I tend to hang on to the tool- be it a skew, gouge, or
scraper - like grim death. I use an overhand grip on the tool and my
little finger is pressed against the tool rest.

Everybody's addresses the holding too hard issue, so I'll suggest that
you hook your forward/left hand forefinger under the tool in the groove
of the toolrest and just put your left thumb above the tool. Holding it
in thumb and forefinger, in other words. Ruth tells of her teacher
trying to take the tool from her grip and saying that if there was any
resistance, she was gripping it too hard. Watching other turners in
person or movies will help. Where do you live? Most areas have local
clubs with people who will be happy to help someone learn to turn
safely.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work