Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 120v 60Hz surround sound system in European-socket

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 23:44:02 +0000, John Galt
wrote:

Hey,

So I've been using a simple adapter piece for my computer and phone etc..
and all have charged fine. I've used that piece for my american surround

I don't know what your simple adapter piece is. Details?

By phone, do you mean cell phone? Don't hold back these things or make
us beg for information to solve your problem.

How do you know the adapter piece made the computer and phone work?

Computers, desktop or laptop, have been designed to run both on 120 or
240 (or anywhere in between) for at least 10 years. So have cell
phone chargers. You could see this by looking at the label on each
device, where it say model, serial number, voltage, and amperage and has
some text too.

system (120v 60hz).

I don't know what an american surround sound is either. A dvid
player? But if it only runs on 120V, you're going to burn it out with
240. Does your adapter piece change 240 to 120?

It initially turned on, made a "whomp" noise, usually
like when I turn my amp on, however it didn't come back on. Have I blown
it? if I get a power converter, will it work again?

Before you buy something, I'd plug your sound into 120 and see if it
works. If you don't know anyone with 120, I'd go to the store where
you plan to buy power converter (which can mean a lot of things, but I
gather you mean to change 240 v to 120) and see if they will let you
plug it in and plug your sound into it. To see if it works. But my
guess is that it won't. That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, but
you'll have to tell everyone the make and model of your sound, and ask
on sci.electronics.repair, where more than half the answers will be
beyond your comprehension, and mine, but that doesn't mean they won't
answer your question in laymen's language.

Many thanks,