Kevin

Default New turner and issues of procedure

Hello all,

I got a new lathe a little over a month ago and have noticed a few things
that I would appreciate some comments on - in particular physical
strains/difficulties.

When turning I tend to hang on to the tool- be it a skew, gouge, or
scraper - like grim death. Within a couple weeks, I've noticed a pain in my
upper back/neck area. I assume this is at least in part due to how tightly
I am gripping the tool handle.I use an overhand grip on the tool and my
little finger is pressed against the tool rest. After a time, my whole hand
becomes numb.

Have any of you also experienced these discomforts? If so, how did you deal
with them?

Thanks,
-k