Ecnerwal

Default Old Delta Lathe Worth New motor?

In article ,
(cindy drozda) wrote:
One (of many) source for treadmill motors is American Science and Surplus.
(
www.sciplus.com) You can get a 3/4 hp motor for about $40, but the
fiddle-around factor might be really high. The archives on this group will

No fiddling at all (I bought a couple of these), but they are selling
the raw motor, so you need to supply the controller. They are brush-type
open frame, so you want to try and keep them clean, and you also want to
put a cooling fan on them (easy way to keep them clean is to bring the
cooling air in from outside). The controllers I currently use, through
non-surplus channels, are 5-6 times the price of the motor - so you
might want to look for a source which includes the treadmill's
contoller, if keeping it cheap is the aim. What I'll do, as there's one
of me, is to set the controller up so it can be unplugged and moved to
different tools _easily_. I have not quite gotten there yet, but will
want to in the new shop when all the lathes are out and usable. Have
floor finally, still need roof, already in the second half of
Novembrrrrrr.