George

Default Old Delta Lathe Worth New motor?

If it has both cone pulleys, get any 1725 washing machine or rebuilt you can
(1/2 to 1 HP) and learn to turn. You're starting an equation in too many
variables, IMHO. Variable speed doesn't help make you a turner. Not even
sure it makes you a better turner, but it's one more thing to fiddle with
when you should be concentrating on putting the wood to the tool.

If it doesn't have both cone pulleys, check Grainger's.

"Dain-Owens" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply. The lathe I'm working with is a Delta "Double Duty"
-- no other name or number appears on the lathe. I like your suggestion,
but I'm new to this newsgroup and to building my own lathe stand.

I've seen variable speed lathe motors at Woodturners.com. Are there other
sources I should know about? I don't know what a Reeves drive is -- I'll
Google it, but if you have a link, I'll appreciate your lead.