Silvan

Default Old Delta Lathe Worth New motor?

Dain-Owens wrote:

I don't know how to access the archives in this newsgroup. I'll see what
I can do -- I hadn't heard the term "treadmill" used for an external lathe
motor.

No idea if the one I have can help you, but I have a treadmill motor. I had
a treadmill belt sander for awhile, which proved to be a better idea on
paper. Tore up a lot of expensive belts with my sloppy tracking system.
I've been saving the thing for years to make a lathe, but never got around
to it.

I'm getting a JET mini for Christmas, which will be much better than
anything I'm likely to have ever built. I'm looking at the space the
stupid thing is eating, and I'm about ready to cut it up and stick the
metal in my project box. That liberates a motor that I really see no
forseeable use for. I'm sure I'll do something with it one of these years
if I keep it, but if someone can put it to good use right now, I don't mind
parting with it. I got it for free, I'll give it away for whatever it
costs to ship it. (Because I really am that broke, sorry.)

I can go blow the dust off and look at the plate to see what it says, if you
want. I'm not sure if it's compatible with this variable speed setup
you're envisioning. I just have it hard wired with a regular household
light switch. If the treadmill had some kind of variable speed gizmo, it's
busted and/or missing.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/