Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New drill/driver

On 15 Jun 2014 11:32:13 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

wrote:

I don't even consider a Black and Decker tool newer than about 30
years to be a tool. In my experience they are pretty much all JUNK.

That's pretty much my thinking. 30 plus years ago I bought a B&D
Industrial 3/8 Reversible Drill Motor. That thing was unstopable. It
did use some nylon gears inside which made me quite surprised that it
performed as well as it did for as long as it did. Finally though, it
gave up the ghost and I replaced it with DeWalt. We had a B&D repair
center right down in Syracuse at the time, and it was the
recommendation of the guys that worked there that made me abandon the
B&D line at the time. My old drill was quite a respected drill for
the time, but they couldn't get parts anymore and they strongly
cautioned against any of the current line - more and more nylon. Can't
get parts, not intended to last for anything but occassional use, etc.

You can't go by brand names any more. It all depends on where the giant
holding company decides to shift that brand today.

While I won't seek out B&D, if someone gives a good review I'm willing to
listen. Sometimes even a cost-conscious brand (i.e. cheap) puts out a
good tool once in a while.

Puckdropper

I think it's been a few decades since B&D put their name on a decent
tool - might have been the odd "accident" that I'm not aware of. And
their small appliances don't fare much better.