Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default attic ventilation: almost no eaves

trader_4 wrote:

.....large snippage occurred....

...And if that's not bad enough, he even already has a ridge vent.
Nobody thinks you should have both a ridge vent and gable vents. Good grief.

That is not necessarily true. There are differing opinions on the Short
Circuit theory...

I've posted 2 links below. One says never mix gable vents and ridge vents
while the other claims to debunk the short circuit myth. There are many
other articles taking both sides of the question. I'm not saying who is
right and who is wrong, I'm simply saying that claiming that "nobody
thinks" you should have both isn't true.

Granted, I don't know that anyone would actually install soffit, ridge
_and_ gable vents from scratch, but gable vents and ridge vents are not
mutually exclusive.

http://www.airvent.com/pdf/literature/TipsBooklet.pdf

http://www.roofingcontractorreview.com/Attic-Ventilation-Help/Roof-Ventilation-|-The-Short-Circuit-Myth.html

Personally, when I had soffit and roof vents installed with my new roof, I
closed off my gable vents based the recommendation of my roofing
contractor, but that was before I read any of the differing opinions on the
Short Circuit theory. That said, I'm not planning on opening them back up.