View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Poor mans electric fence

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:26:41 AM UTC-4, dave wrote:
On 06/14/2014 05:51 AM, wrote:

MY friend would like me to help him build a cheap electric fence. I found lots of designs, and of course we could go solid state but the simplicity of this one really intrigues me.

I showed him the schematic and he questioned if the repeated opening and closing of the flasher points used in this application would quickly burn them out. I was thinking that in spite of the inductive component, the load of the coil would be much less than the load imposed by a lighting circuit. So I thought that combined with the correct capacitor and perhaps the addition of a small snubber circuit (a small resistor in series with the capacitor) would cut down on the sparking. Perhaps I'm way off base here. Does anyone have any opinions on this or has anyone ever done this? This uses a standard automotive ignition coil. Thanks, Lenny

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...2F%3B822%3B691

If you do you will be in violation of several laws regarding harmful

interference.

Well then I imagine that every rancher with an electric fence must be repeating Marconi's experiment as well. And what about the computers in the area that break the squelch on my low band radio in my truck as I drive past the same houses. And not to mention those infernal speed controlers and light dimmers that raise hell with AM radio. MJy friend is just trying to keep coons out of his garden. How do these guys get away withit. Lenny