Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New drill/driver

wrote:

I think I am going in a different direction for a bit. I have an
ancient Makita 14.4 ni cad (which I thought was working well for me,
but reading this makes me realize how clueless I am) that will pull
the balls of a rhino. I spent $329 for it about 9 years ago.
While I have killed a few batteries, the smart charger does well with
itself, and the helical cut bronze gears in the drill make it solid as
the day I bought it. The chuck is an American made Jacobs with
carbide liners and it will still grip a 1/16" to 1/2" with the same
precision.

It has drilled thousands of holes, and driven many times that of
screws. But the drill is large and weighs a bunch. Still, I will be
undone if anything happens to it as it is my cabinet hanging monster.

It still works fine. But I am taking a look at this tool set for the
first time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2034068...hop_This_Combo

My electrician uses it for all kinds of drilling, screw driving, and
has even use it with a wire brush to clean up fixtures. He uses the
hell out of both the drill and the driver every single day. He is on
his third set. According to him, they last about 2 1/2 to 3 years,
and then he simply tosses them. I have never had any of my DeWalt or
Hitachi drills last longer than that.

I have several entry door replacements coming up, and I will see if it
will bore a hole in a 1 3/4 door. If it will, I am in. I have to
have a really light touch with the rhino killer when running in all
the door hinge screws, and there will be a few hundred of them if I
get all the work I have bid.
snip?
Do you think Harbor Freight might be on to something?

The above would be a classic HF item.

Lew

---