Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using JB Weld on a chair?

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:50:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

John B. on Fri, 13 Jun 2014 06:33:18 +0700
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:09:07 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

tschus
pyotr

It is either JB weld or I find someone with a welding kit. Or go hit
the yard sales, etc.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

JB weld seems to have a tensile strength of about 4,000 PSI. Mild
steel has a tensile strength of 52,000 psi and a yield strength of
about 44,000 psi, depending on temper.

Soooo - JB Weld if I want to hold it together until the end of the
month. Otherwise, not really worth the effort.
--
pyotr filipivich

You might be able to pop rivit a reinforcement in if you dont have
access to welding gear/people

But Id be using BIG pop rivets, not the tiny ones.

And Stainless steel ones would be better than aluminum pop rivets.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"