AHilton

Default Bowl rims, rounding over

I used to have the exact same thing happen to me except my bowls usually
exploded. Like Bill Rubenstein suggests, do your rim shaping early on in
your hollowing process before you start hollowing below the rim very much at
all. That's made the most difference in my bowl rims. And, as others have
already mentioned, a light scraping action works quite well here.

- Andrew

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
I am new to turning and have just made my first small bowl (well,
nearly!). I did quite well until I tried to change the flat top (rim)
into a rounded over shape. I wasn't sure how to tackle it so I used a
bowl gouge more or less on its side as I had done successfully for
hollowing the inside, and I approached the inside edge very carefully,
but I got a catch and the bowl came out of the dovetail chuck,
damaging the base. I was able to glue it and try again but the same
thing happened. Can anyone help, please?