Posted to alt.home.repair
jamesgang jamesgang is offline

Default Toilet pipe too high out of concrete floor!

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:07:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hey, I have a 90 degree pipe for a toilet flange sticking out of the concrete about 1 1/2 inches.

So I bought a PVC, cast iron replacement flange. the one with the compression ring around it.

I then cut the pipe level with the floor, but since it was a 90 degree elbow, it didn't go straight down,but curved. So then I bought a bunch, maybe 3 different flanges to see if any would go in. One of them went in but obvious it wasn't tight to the outside of the pipe. Then I went and bought a 45 and 90 degree pipe to see which one would fit in the existing 4" pipe the best. Neither did but cutting off the top 1 1/2 inch, it will fit in the pipe with about 3/16 inch space around it.

The question then is: Would it be better to put silicone caulk in the space to hold the pipe in place or an epoxy? Then the flange can get PVC glued in to it. I hope the question is clear.

Thanks!

I'd work on the flange to make it fit. Can't you you trim it some to get it to fit?

Otherwise I'd not sure. Neither filler will "melt" into the pvc like a normal joint does. I am a big fan of epoxy so I guess that would probably be my choice. Rough up the surfaces if you do this. You can mix stuff like microballoons or chopped fiberglass to the epoxy to make it thick.