Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Using JB Weld on a chair?

Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

If you cracked an 1/8" steel plate, JB weld isn't going to do much
better. I would either fab up a replacement plate (if it is simple
enough), or weld it back together. 1/8" is in the range that you can
stick weld, and you can find used stick welders pretty cheap. When
you're done, you can deduct the cost of a new chair from the cost of the
stick welder for even more savings.

Jon