Ruth

Default Bowl rims, rounding over

Bill wrote: ...snip...."so I used a bowl gouge more or less on its side
as I had done successfully for hollowing the inside, and I approached
the inside edge very carefully, but I got a catch"....snip....
**********************************
Bill,

Without seeing what you're actually doing, it's quite difficult to
correct your approach.
I'm not going to go through a long description of proper tool handling
(I'm sure others will do that better).

Here's what I do when I *think* I'm using a tool right and it goes
wrong: hold the tool as you were but with the lathe OFF. Hand turn
the bowl and watch how the tool edge is reacting. You could have not
turned it at enough of an angle, you want the edge to be more scraping
than cutting as it would when hollowing the inside.

Hope this helps.
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at