Bill

Default Bowl rims, rounding over

I am new to turning and have just made my first small bowl (well,
nearly!). I did quite well until I tried to change the flat top (rim)
into a rounded over shape. I wasn't sure how to tackle it so I used a
bowl gouge more or less on its side as I had done successfully for
hollowing the inside, and I approached the inside edge very carefully,
but I got a catch and the bowl came out of the dovetail chuck,
damaging the base. I was able to glue it and try again but the same
thing happened. Can anyone help, please?