Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:35:52 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Having seen it, I'm not going to worry about finding ways to install
the latest flashplayer in win2k. Having just written this, it's just
occurred to me to fire up the testbed install of Mint15 and check it
out there.

Using the default FF browser (haven't gotten round to ditching that
bit of rubbish in favour of Opera just yet),

What's wrong with it?..

I don't like it. It's had a history of unaddressed vulnerabilities,
admittedly it was a mere 5 out of 25 known vulnerabilities versus 25
out 75 for IE at the same time that Opera's score was zero out of
zero.

The Pentagon's endorsement to use this instead of Opera as "The Safe
Alternative" to IE only arose because it was less vulnerable than IE
and was totally free. It seems the insignificant banner add in the
free version of Opera was what disqualified it from the 'recommended'
alternatives. The rest, as they say, is history.

There's also the issue of the time required for SpyBot S&D's
immunisation check to deal with FF's identical immunisation
requirements to IE often taking longer to perform than a scan for
adware/spyware and malware crap that suggests it's rather badly
written and at least as vulnerable to driveby downloads as IE (Opera
is protected only to the tune of 43 bad plugins).

Also Opera is faster than IE6 which is the fastest of all the later
versions of IE.

I've been able to play
the video. The youtube one _is_ a low res version (240p) of this one
which appears, at a guess (unable to determine the resolution settings
actually used) to be SD, probably 576 x 704.

Interestingly, the version of Flash seems to be 11.xx.xx so I'm
surprised I couln't get it to play in win2k (perhaps it's the java
that's not up to snuff - there's a sizable chunk of java script
embedded in that 'video' to make it a "Man for all seasons" affair to
cover everything from smart TV playabck to smartphone playback - pity
they didn't consider win2k playback).

I know we've had this issue re WIN2K before but do you really think that
people should worry re compatibility with a system that should have been
retired now a while ago?.

No, I've given up on that forlorn hope many years ago. My problem is
that none, absolutley none of the later versions of NT were palatable
replacements to make retirement of win2k a sensible option. Not even
today but Linux Mint with VirtualBox looks to be about the only
practical way to avoid the worse excesses of Microsoft OS
developments.

Even I've scrapped our Win 2 K machines with some regret but it all
moves on.

It certainly does. In my case the host OS _isn't_ going to be a
Microsoft product when I next upgrade the hardware beyond win2k's
reach in about a year's time.

Played here fine on a WIN 7 machine thanks...

Just as you might well expect. :-)
--
J B Good