Barry N. Turner

Default Chuck pointers for JET mini...

You might want to take a look at a Nova Compac chuck. At a price of $80 at
Woodcraft, its not such a huge investment and it should do the type of work
you describe quite well. There is even a set of 20 mm (pin) jaws for it. I
have one and it works fine. Its the most chuck you can get for the money.

Barry

"Silvan" wrote in message
I think I'm going to need a chuck before I need anything else, and there's
still time to get it added to Santa's list. I know diddly squat about
chucks, so I could use some simple "buy this one from here" advice.

I'm expecting to try my hand at doing a chess set for one thing, and I'll

be
making myriad small parts for wooden steam locomotives. These are the
things I had in mind when I decided to get a lathe, though I'm sure I will
come up with other uses for it once I get it set up.

I'd appreciate it if someone would steer me toward the kind of stuff I

need
to be looking at for this kind of work. Money is not abundant, and I'd
prefer to avoid buying anything regretable this early on.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/