Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Talk to me about templates, routers and double-stick tape - PingGreg

On 6/11/2014 6:29 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/10/2014 7:59 PM, Swingman wrote:
Best to go to longer bits, and 1/2" shanks and collets, if you need to
get excess height, as you stand a better chance of less flex and run out
causing problems, not to mention the danger of a bit coming loose.

Exactly the things I was wondering about. Someday I intend to build a
router table and get a better router to put in it. But for now, it's
1/4" collets. I think I'll stick with my jig method for the moment.

For years I used an insert, in a flat piece of plywood, between two
sawhorses to pretty good effect.

The biggest factors in doing it that way are time and precision.

If you have the time to futz with settings to get the precision you
need, than it is certainly an option to get you started on using a
"router table".

Two most important things for me, and the way I use a router table, are
the rigidity and stability of the top and insert; and the ability to
easily dial in the bit height.

Thus, and after finally having one, for me a "router lift" is an
absolute necessity to get the most out of a router table setup for what
I use one for.

With those two parameters taken care of, you can always build the actual
table later.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net