George

Default Qs: Economy Chuck/ Turning for Kids

Do you ever watch "The Router Workshop" which is a Canadian show, on PBS
down here? They demonstrate over and over again how to loosen and tighten
two handles with one hand. With the standard Nova you get a pin spanner and
a bar, which is a bit different, but entirely useable.

I prefer a dovetail recess and my tailstock for open face turning. Tenons
are for endgrain orientation around my house. Peek at
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/index.html for a nice and safe way to
work. Kids up at school may catch, but don't lose blanks, and they're out
of the disintegration zone, too.

Leave the hole you used to mount the pin chuck or jaws on a pillar. That
way you run the 1" bit down for the pin, or grab inside with the jaws to
retrue the bottom. Once again, your tailstock helps you until your blank is
more stable and true. Dry is the same procedure as wet until the last.

I'm too impatient to wait for glue, I guess, either that, or spoiled by the
ease of a chuck. I use faceplates for jam chucks, and that's about it.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I did not know any better. When I started I did not want to spend

$250.00 -
400.00 CAD to find out that I like woodturning or not. So, I bought an
economy chuck at $65.00 CAD.
I have used it for about 10-12 months. My comments are as follows:
1) The use of levers is awkward and it should be done with a single drive
Allen key instead.
2) When doing the inside of a 10" X 5" wet red oak a deeper tenon is
required. Re-tightening is often required with large and heavy wet

blanks.
3) When finishing dried blanks the tenon left of the blanks before drying
have to be trued
and the anchorseal removed to provide an adequate concentric gripping
surface.
4) It weighs about 6 pounds!
5) It come in size of 1" X 8 TPI and 3/4" X 16 TPI. No adapter is needed
for my lathe.

When at the Moncton (NB) Woodworking show last week I learned that when
purchasing known brands of chuck an adapter is needed. This adds to the
cost. The accumulation of machining tolerances is increased by the

addition
of the adapter.

I soon learned that the use of face plates and glue blocks give me good
results without the use of a scroll chuck. However I would like to
experiment with these original designed chucks.