Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer[_3_] Tony Bryer[_3_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 18:15:46 +0100 Charles wrote :
The fundamental problem with the Liberty Ships was that the steel used went
brittle in the sub-zero temperatures of the North Atlantic in the winter.
As they were all welded, for speed of construction and crack went right
through the ship - many sank for, at the time, unexplained reasons.
Operate them in warmer waters and I'm sure they were fine.

I've got this in my software manuals as an interesting piece of trivia.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com