Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

On 09/06/2014 10:48, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
sting.com, Jabba
wrote:

charles scribbled...

In article , ARW
wrote:
"David P" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 19:08:21 +0100, ARW wrote:

Today I was working at Finningley the home of this

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ Awesome - but totally OT.

many years ago I worked in Pontefract and the Vulcan's used to

come in
low over the town using the bus staion as a marker. Then they

puled
the stick back and pushed the throttle hard forward for a near

vertical
climb.

I still get the shivers down my spine just thinking about them -
fabulous planes.

Wasn't their last active flying to the Falklands or have I
misremembered that?
It was one of their missions - and they totally failed in that

one other
than for moral purposes:-(
not quite true. Read the wiki page on "Operation Black Buck"

It cost over a £1million for every bomb that hit the runway, when the
fleet had the same bombs available for their aircraft, which were
several thousand miles closer to the target. The operation was
performed to wind up the RN, in an attempt to prove that aircraft
carriers have no use. Looks like they won as we don't have any
carriers now and all the aircraft the navy used have been scrapped.

Well we do have a carrier, but it only carries choppers, no fast jets.
That was the mistake - selling the remaining harriers to the Yanks.

AIUI, there was also some chance that the Argies, having seen that we
could mount a bombing raid from 8000 miles away, became nervous that we
might attack Buenos Ares, and so held some of their fighter-bombers up
north just in case.

The Argies made any number of fatal strategic mistakes - mostly not
fully committing to the engagement, flying some of their best aircraft
to neutral countries so they were impounded etc, rather than lost in
dogfights, and telling their pilots not to engage with the harriers.
(Even if they had lost aircraft at a 5:1 ratio, they could have won
simply by attrition).

--
Cheers,

John.