Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

wrote in
:

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 10:32:21 -0700 (PDT), JimK
wrote:

On Monday, 9 June 2014 18:03:08 UTC+1, Part timer wrote:
On 09/06/2014 10:06, charles wrote:

In article 2,
DerbyBorn

wrote:

charles wrote in

:

The engines for the Vulcan were developed long before Concorde
was even

thought of. There was one Vulcan which was adapted as a test
bed for

Concorde engines, though, One engine on one side of the plane
instead

of the usual two. In the same way that there was a Shackelton
with a

Vulcan engine underneath the fuselage, flying out of Bitteswell
in the

1950s.

Correct.(But I thought the Concorde Engine was under the bomb bay
for

flight testing) The Vulcan and the Victor were also used to carry
our

nuclear deterrant - the Blue Steel Missile. The missile (there
were

over 50 of them) carried a nuclear warhead. They were an air
launced

cruise missile with a guidance system that used valves (it
predated the

invention of the transistor)

You could be correct about "under the bomb bay", I wasn't sure.

Do a google image search for Vulcan XA903 Olympus. I remember seeing
it

in a book about the Vulcan a few years ago in our local library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-R...ma_Olympus_593 has info

about the development of the Olympus.

In June 1966, a complete Olympus 593 engine and variable geometry
exhaust assembly was first run at Melun-Villaroche, Īle-de-France,
France. At Bristol, flight tests began using a RAF Avro Vulcan bomber
with the engine and its nacelle attached below the bomb-bay. Due to
the Vulcan's aerodynamic limitations, the tests were limited to a
speed of Mach 0.98 (1,200 km/h). During these tests, the 593 achieved
35,190 lbf (157 kN) thrust, which exceeded the requirements of the
engine.[5]

could be true

Jim K

I was told by someone at BZN that BAe put one on the back of a VC10
borrowed from the RAF on one side in place of the two Conways. Bent
the fuselage, which was then FUBAR. My informant also told me about
the time when a VC10 was defuelled in the wrong order - wing tanks
first, leaving the tailplane taks full. Gravity acted - as it usually
does, the A/C fell backwards leaving the nose sticking out above the
mist at BZN.

Regards
No Name

I think that relates to a RB211. The VC10 was its flying testbed.
http://www.vc10.net/History/Individual/XR809.html
Also:

http://www.vc10.net/History/Images/XR806_writeoff.jpg