Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_15_] Chuck[_15_] is offline

Default Thanks folks

On 6/9/2014 2:01 PM, philo wrote:
I am putting my reply here rather than individually.

My house was built in 1898

I have been here for about 35 years and there is always something to do.

Since this is going to cost a few buck I guess I will only get part of
it done this year.

If I get a high efficiency furnace and an electric gas heater and no
longer need a chimney at all, what's the best thing to do then?

Should it just be insulated and capped?

To remove it entirely would be expensive.

If it does get removed I'll be saving that job for when the entire roof
needs to be replaced...possibly in five years.

I would cap it. If you remove it you might influence the historic value
of your house.
Some historic society may tell you can't change anything outside the
house that would change the appearance. This is common with older houses
built in the 1800's.

---