Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 08:26:41 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 19:23:23 +0100, Corporal Jones wrote:

On 08/06/2014 19:08, ARW wrote:
Today I was working at Finningley the home of this

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Just after 3pm it it went into the sky.

The first thing you notice is the noise. It makes more noise just
taxiing down the runway than a commercial jet makes on lift off!

It then flew towards the house (the floor vibrated) and blew the fumes
from it's exhaust into the house as it made it's turn. It smelt like a
an old petrol engine with a manual choke that was too far out.

Awesome - but totally OT.

When I was a lad I used to stay at my Uncles farm during the summer
holidays near Retford, one day whilst combining in the field a Vulcan
flew very low overhead, apart from seeing every detail of it's
undercarrage I think I have been somewhat deaf eversince.

Barry

Same here - but a different 'plane: cycling past the end of the runway
at RAF Upper Heyford, a Merkinjet took off and went into full climb
directly over me.
For some daft 'reason', when I saw/heard it approaching I tried to get
past the runway - stopping and covering my ears would have been far
better.

Had a similar experience driving past Manston when they were rehearsing
the air show. I was driving down the road just outside the perimeter -
with the sunroof open.

Then a Harrier did a vertical takeoff just inside the perimeter - the
"sit on its backside and let loose" sort.

I nearly went off the road.

Sometimes the RAF practice dogfights next to Filey Brig. That's a
worthwhile free show.

--
Adam