Posted to uk.d-i-y
Syke[_2_] Syke[_2_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

Rather unfortunate spelling mistake there!

Syke

On 09/06/2014 16:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/06/2014 13:06, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 08:26:41 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 19:23:23 +0100, Corporal Jones wrote:

On 08/06/2014 19:08, ARW wrote:
Today I was working at Finningley the home of this

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Just after 3pm it it went into the sky.

The first thing you notice is the noise. It makes more noise just
taxiing down the runway than a commercial jet makes on lift off!

It then flew towards the house (the floor vibrated) and blew the fumes
from it's exhaust into the house as it made it's turn. It smelt like a
an old petrol engine with a manual choke that was too far out.

Awesome - but totally OT.

When I was a lad I used to stay at my Uncles farm during the summer
holidays near Retford, one day whilst combining in the field a Vulcan
flew very low overhead, apart from seeing every detail of it's
undercarrage I think I have been somewhat deaf eversince.

Barry

Same here - but a different 'plane: cycling past the end of the runway
at RAF Upper Heyford, a Merkinjet took off and went into full climb
directly over me.
For some daft 'reason', when I saw/heard it approaching I tried to get
past the runway - stopping and covering my ears would have been far
better.

Had a similar experience driving past Manston when they were rehearsing
the air show. I was driving down the road just outside the perimeter -
with the sunroof open.

Then a Harrier did a vertical takeoff just inside the perimeter - the
"sit on its backside and let loose" sort.

I nearly went off the road.

One of the most impressive (and in some ways scary) things I ever saw
was a harrier at one of the Southend air shows about 20 years ago. If
did a couple of fly pasts, and then did a third one slower and slower
until finally coming to a "stop" in front of the main crowd. It was
flying at about 50' and hence was below most of the audience standing on
the Westcliff "cliffs". It then did its normal side to side, nodding,
and backwards flying displays. Before finally starting to ascended with
the planes attitude level to start, but slowing rotating toward the nose
up vertical - all the time gaining vertical speed until it is on full
afterburner, flying straight up, until it vanished through the cloud
base. Awesome display of power and control.

The scary bit (aside from the incredible body shaking noise) was it did
its display over the water - the tide was in. There was a couple of dozy
muppets in a rowing boat that thought it might be a good idea to get
under the plane and so rowed out into its jet thrust which you could see
whipping up the surface of the water. Obviously they then suddenly
realised it was really not a very good idea at all, and were trying like
mad to get out of the way, but by this time the side to side and forward
/ backward part of the demo was taking place. The thrust was basicically
playing a game of tiddlywinks with them - skitting the boat first one
way then the other - I was amazed it did not sink or get capsized under
the shear force being excreted on it.