Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_3_] JimK[_3_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

On Monday, 9 June 2014 18:03:08 UTC+1, Part timer wrote:
On 09/06/2014 10:06, charles wrote:

In article 2, DerbyBorn

wrote:

charles wrote in

:

The engines for the Vulcan were developed long before Concorde was even

thought of. There was one Vulcan which was adapted as a test bed for

Concorde engines, though, One engine on one side of the plane instead

of the usual two. In the same way that there was a Shackelton with a

Vulcan engine underneath the fuselage, flying out of Bitteswell in the

1950s.

Correct.(But I thought the Concorde Engine was under the bomb bay for

flight testing) The Vulcan and the Victor were also used to carry our

nuclear deterrant - the Blue Steel Missile. The missile (there were

over 50 of them) carried a nuclear warhead. They were an air launced

cruise missile with a guidance system that used valves (it predated the

invention of the transistor)

You could be correct about "under the bomb bay", I wasn't sure.

Do a google image search for Vulcan XA903 Olympus. I remember seeing it

in a book about the Vulcan a few years ago in our local library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-R...ma_Olympus_593 has info

about the development of the Olympus.

In June 1966, a complete Olympus 593 engine and variable geometry exhaust assembly was first run at Melun-Villaroche, Īle-de-France, France. At Bristol, flight tests began using a RAF Avro Vulcan bomber with the engine and its nacelle attached below the bomb-bay. Due to the Vulcan's aerodynamic limitations, the tests were limited to a speed of Mach 0.98 (1,200 km/h). During these tests, the 593 achieved 35,190 lbf (157 kN) thrust, which exceeded the requirements of the engine.[5]

could be true

Jim K