Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
charles wrote in
:

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
charles wrote in
:

The engines for the Vulcan were developed long before Concorde was
even thought of. There was one Vulcan which was adapted as a test
bed for Concorde engines, though, One engine on one side of the
plane instead of the usual two. In the same way that there was a
Shackelton with a Vulcan engine underneath the fuselage, flying out
of Bitteswell in the 1950s.

Correct.(But I thought the Concorde Engine was under the bomb bay for
flight testing) The Vulcan and the Victor were also used to carry our
nuclear deterrant - the Blue Steel Missile. The missile (there were
over 50 of them) carried a nuclear warhead. They were an air launced
cruise missile with a guidance system that used valves (it predated
the invention of the transistor)

You could be correct about "under the bomb bay", I wasn't sure. But
valves v transisitors, no. Blue Steel's guidance system might have
predated the serious use of the transistor, which were "invented" in
1947. The first prototype Vulcan flew in 1952. Blue Steel was called
for in 1954 and entered service in 1964.

I guess the guidance system would have been based around well tried and
tested modules - hence valves.

Most likely true, Interstingly, the wiki page on Blue Streak suggests the
guidance system was more advanced that that of either the Vulcan or Victor.

Of course, Beyond The Fringe suggested that it would be delivered by a team
of highly trained runners and renamed "Greased Lightning".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18