Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fuxit Mr Fuxit is offline

Default UNC & BSW interchangeable?

On Monday, 9 June 2014 08:38:40 UTC+1, Peter Taylor wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote:

http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog...on_bushes.html

Thanks Dennis, that's a very useful resource I hadn't found before.

Here's a pic of the tripod:

http://www.euphonium.plus.com/images...ripod_head.jpg

The tripod has a flat top plate with a hole about 80mm diameter in the

centre, through which the brass fixing screw projects. The screw is free to

move around in the hole to enable the theodolite to be positioned accurately

over a point on the ground. This means I can't use the conversion bushes,

and the only way I can think of to keep the screwsolidly in a fixed position

is to use a brass bridge spanning across the hole, drilled and tapped

5/8" UNC for the screw, and this bit works fine. The problem is the bridge

needs to be min. 10mm thick, otherwise the end of the screw projects above

the surface, and that's too thick for any camera screws I've seen till now,

which is why I was intending to use a bolt.

The screw in your link with 15mm thread length might be long enough, but

it still leaves only 5mm thread above the bridge and I'm not sure that's

going to be really secure, but I'm going to order some to try.

Discussing it with a friend yesterday he suggested reducing the thickness of

the bridge locally for the screw using a spotface cutter, which means the

15mm screw will be OK. It would also let me use a circlip to retain the

screw.

Getting there slowly! Thanks very much for your link.

Peter

Peter, I have some 3" x 3/8" BSW Brass bolts, nuts and washers that you are welcome to. Also, I have a matching second-cut tap that I will lend you if you need it.

Please answer through the group, as I am having problems with e-mail.
HTH!