Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default RPMster drill press

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 19:41:14 -0700, "Howard Beal" wrote:

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"Howard Beal"

I have an auxillary foot switch that applies power when depressed,
makes
those challenging clamping setups safer. I also do a lot of direct
drive
tapping so having instant stop capability is critical.

Best Regards
Tom.

I also use a foot switch on the DP. Sure is nice for
honing cylinders, in fact, the only safe way to do so!

Indeed, the universal foot switch is often overlooked
as a shop essential. I made up several of them for
use arround the shop. I even have a 220V version.
I roll my own using solid state relays controlled by a
low current microswitch. The relays are 25A at 600vac
that i bought on ebay years ago. They last forever, been
using the same ones for over 10 years without a single
failure.

That's a wonderful thought for a RSN future project, guys.

I often have momentary use requirements of my little 1" belt sander
and it sounds very handy for the drill press.

Since there are (mechanical) relays and momentaries here in stock,
it's definitely on the next To-Do list.

If you intend to use mechanical relays remember to use arc supression
circuitry on the contacts since motors are inductive loads the contacts
may arc and could weld shut and not turn off as intended. Its a rare
occurance but i have heard of it happening.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/