Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Long hole

On 6/8/2014 2:32 PM, Morgans wrote:

Together they make a 36" long 3/4" bit. I've never drilled through that
much solid lumber with it, but I think it would work if you back it out
on occasion, and if you make really sure that the set screws on the
extension are tight. You wouldn't want to leave the auger in the hole
permanently.

Good advice.

Nothing that long will clear chips without frequent withdrawal.

I'm sure that's true.

I ALWAYS grind a flat spot on a bit where the extension set screw grabs
the bit. To not do so invites disaster, IMHO.

The Greenlee folks thought of that. It's hard to see in the photos, but
the shaft of the bit and the recess in the extension are both a
triangular cross-section.

---