nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo*[_2_] View Post
Now, my question: I still have a gas hot water heater using that chimney
which will be otherwise unused. Is it likely I'll still get condensation
on cold winter days?
I guess it all depends on why that condensation was forming. If it's a masonary chimney, then my guess would be that the cause of the condensation has nothing to do with the amount of flue gas rising up through the chimney, but the fact that masonary is a lousy insulator. Basically, the ceiling around the chimney was cold because the chimney was cold, and that's why the condensation formed where it did.

Last edited by nestork : June 9th 14 at 04:15 AM