Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Condensation around chimney

We just got done with a very cold winter.

On some of the coldest days there was a lot of condensation in the house
right near the ceiling adjacent to the chimney.

I have a standard gas furnace that's about 22 years old and there is NO
liner in the chimney. Various chimney repair companies have told me I
should get a liner installed to avoid condensation.

I was about to do so then realized that I'll probably need a new furnace
within the next few years anyway and now might be the time to not only
get a high efficiency furnace but to get central air instead.

The 100 amp service in my 116 year old house is maxed out so I have
hired a contractor to upgrade the service to 200 amps.

Now, my question: I still have a gas hot water heater using that chimney
which will be otherwise unused. Is it likely I'll still get condensation
on cold winter days?