Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Remote chance, but...

On 6/8/2014 8:16 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Would squeezing one part or the other with channel locks or such help?
It might let you see what you have to contend with.
My dad would call them water pump pliers for some reason.

I'm not sure...the portion that is together doesn't seem to have any
vertical play.

In olden days one of the primary uses for them was to tighten packing
gland nut on automotive water pumps from whence came the name...it's
been a long, long time since pumps were so primitive; now you can't even
rebuild one and the one on the 3.8L turns out is just an impeller on the
cover plate; the involute and all is cast into the block. I suppose
most newer are now; it was the first I'd had to mess with in probably 20
years....