Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Beal[_2_] Howard Beal[_2_] is offline

Default RPMster drill press

On 2014-06-08, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 17:05:28 -0500, Ignoramus8451

On 2014-06-08, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 08:04:06 -0500, Ignoramus8451
wrote:

At an auction last week, I bought a "Buffalo Forge RPMster drill
press". You can kind of see it on the picture of the semi truck, that
I posted on Friday. Here's the manual for it

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/129/3782.pdf

It looks great and is clearly a very good drill press. It also does
not take a lot of room, even though it weighs a ton.

My question is, given what I do, does it make sense to keep it instead
of selling, it is awfully nice for drilling larger holes. At the same
time it is more dangerous due to power.

Which one did you get? Id sell the 7.5 hp and the 5hp machines. Its
highly unlikely you will EVER need either of those in your shop. Now
if its the 3hp..just make damned sure you clamp EVERYTIME you drill
with a big drillbit.

This one actually is a 1.5 HP, as I learned today (I was at work)

Cool! Thats a definate keeper!! Just clamp if you go over 5/8" bits.

Clamp with even smaller bits -- and do not ask why I think so

I have an auxillary foot switch that applies power when depressed, makes
those challenging clamping setups safer. I also do a lot of direct drive
tapping so having instant stop capability is critical.

Best Regards
Tom.