Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Half of americans can't afford their house

On Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:18:23 PM UTC-4, o m e H o m e G u y wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

Here's a thread where residential Canadian purchasers are talking

about having done buy downs, ie points:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=82975.0

"I'm hoping others are willing to share their experiences regarding

mortgage rate buy downs via the IRP program."

"I'm curious how many have taken advantage of this? We did for our

first house via the IRP program and have really benefited from a

low interest mortgage."

So, first time buyers in Canada are using it, understand it, but

it's way beyond Home guy.

Explain how you can possibly come out ahead by paying up-front to reduce

your mortgage rate when instead you can apply that same payment to

increase your downpayment.

Been there, done that. It lowers the interest rate and the monthly
payment for the duration of the loan. If you can afford and qualify
for a payment of $2000 a month, but you can't qualify and afford
a higher payment, then paying a couple points could mean you can
get the mortgage and the lower payment, while without it you can't.
I also explained to you that points are tax deductible, so if you
pay $3000 in points it's really only costing you $1950. And after
you recoup that amount, you're ahead in paying less interest for
the rest of the loan.

Individual home owners do not negotiate any sort of "buy downs"

with banks when they negotiate their mortgage.

See the thread example cited where buyers did exactly that.

I've never heard of this, but then again it's been 14 years since I had

to deal with getting a mortgage.

If you can afford to throw extra money at the bank for a buy-

down, you can just as easily throw extra money into the

downpayment and end up with a smaller mortgage (and hence

lower mortgage payments) so the concept of a "buy down" doesn't

really make any sense.

Yes it does. Go use one of the calculators and you'll see that if

you spend $3,000 on points, you'll lower the monthly payment

significantly more than if you put down $3,000 more as downpayment.

---------

Mortgage Points: What's The Point?

By Lisa Smith on August 10, 2012

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...gforpoints.asp

The structure of home mortgages varies around the world. Paying for

mortgage points is a common practice in the United States and, at least

according to anecdotal evidence, it may be a uniquely American approach

to home financing.

What Mortgage Points Are

Mortgage points come in two varieties: origination points and discount

points. In both cases, each point is equal to 1% of the total amount

mortgaged. For example, on a $100,000 home, one point is equal to

$1,000. Origination points are used to compensate loan officers. Not all

mortgage providers require the payment of origination points, and those

that do are often willing to negotiate the fee. Origination points are

not tax deductible.

Discount points are prepaid interest. The purchase of each point

generally lowers the interest rate on your mortgage by 0.25%. Most

lenders provide the opportunity to purchase anywhere from zero to three

discount points. We will focus mainly on discount points and how they

can decrease your overall mortgage payments. It is important to note,

however, that when lenders advertise rates, they often show a rate that

is based on the purchase of points.

----------

What a lot of mumbo-jumbo those "points" are.

If you don't want to pay points there are plenty of no points
mortages available here. If you want a lower rate, you can get
one with points. What's the problem with people having a choice?
I never said that paying points are a good idea, for most people.

I can tell you that it's not common here in Canada to have a mortgage

where these points are an option.

As the blurb above implies, you're pre-paying a part of your interest,

and as the rest of the article explains, whether it pays off in your

favor depends on how long you live in the house.

That's how it works. So, again, what's your problem?

-----------

Consider the following example:

* On a $100,000 mortgage with an interest rate of 6%, your monthly

payment for principal and interest is $599.55 per month.

* With the purchase of three discount points, your interest rate would

be 5.25%, and your monthly payment would be $552.20 per month.

Purchasing the three discount points would cost you $3,000 in exchange

for a savings of $47.35 per month. You will need to keep the house for

63 months to break even on the point purchase.

No, because as previously explained, points are tax deductible. If you're
in the 35% bracket, you'd be even in just 41 months and ahead after that,
in the USA.

Since a 30-year loan

lasts 360 months, purchasing points is a wise move if you plan to live

in your new home for a long time. If, on the other hand, you plan to

stay only for a few years, you may wish to purchase fewer points, or

none at all.

That's correct, that's how it works.

-----------

Regarding mortgage terms:

http://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthw...icans-can.html

---------

For example, in Canada the longest term for which a mortgage rate can be

fixed is typically no more than ten years, while mortgage maturities are

commonly 25 years.

OMG. If that were going on in the USA you'd say it was a time bomb
and people are getting screwed. What happens if after 10 years rates
are 3x what they are today? And given that they are extraordinarily
low right now, that's a real possibility. What's wrong with you
Canadians and your country? Here you can get a 20 or 30 year fixed
rate mortgage.