Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default RPMster drill press

"Ignoramus8451" wrote in message
At an auction last week, I bought a "Buffalo Forge RPMster drill
press". You can kind of see it on the picture of the semi truck, that
I posted on Friday. Here's the manual for it

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/129/3782.pdf

It looks great and is clearly a very good drill press. It also does
not take a lot of room, even though it weighs a ton.

My question is, given what I do, does it make sense to keep it instead
of selling, it is awfully nice for drilling larger holes. At the same
time it is more dangerous due to power.

I would hang on to it. As Karl said its like money in the bank.
You can allways put a smaller motor on it if you have saftey
concerns. Personaly i would find a VFD that has a torque
control feature as well as speed controll. A set of annular
cutters/drills and flood coolant would be an excellant addition
to that drill press. I have been switching from standard drills
to annular cutters and am very pleased, 1,2,3,4 inch holes
no problem. The hole produced is high quality and has a reamed
appearence and spot on size. Annular cutters are also applicable
for use in a lathe, mill, or magnetic drill press.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/