Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

"David P" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 19:08:21 +0100, ARW wrote:

Today I was working at Finningley the home of this

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
Awesome - but totally OT.

many years ago I worked in Pontefract and the Vulcan's used to come in
low over the town using the bus staion as a marker. Then they puled the
stick back and pushed the throttle hard forward for a near vertical climb.

I still get the shivers down my spine just thinking about them - fabulous
planes.

Wasn't their last active flying to the Falklands or have I misremembered
that?

For each operation flying direct from the UK, three 22 yr old Vulcans had to be refuelled
8 times in flight by a fleet of Victor tankers based on Ascension Island some of which
themselves had to be refuelled in flight. "At almost 6,800 nautical miles (12,600 km) and
16 hours for the return journey, these were the longest-ranged bombing raids in history
at that time."

quote

It has been suggested that the Black Buck raids were pressed home by the Royal Air
Force[7]
because the British armed forces had been cut in the late seventies and the RAF may have
desired a greater role in the conflict to prevent further cuts.[8]

[...]

The military effectiveness of Black Buck remains controversial to this day with some
independent sources describing it as minimal,[35] the damage to the airfield and radars
being quickly repaired.[36] The runway continued to be used by Argentine C-130s until
the end of the war and was also available for Aermacchi MB-339 jets[37] and FMA
Pucarás.[38] As a result of the controversy a number of common misconceptions exist
about the raid.

/quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

michael adams