Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Sometimes you just have to see what it's gong to look like...

On 6/8/2014 8:09 AM, Swingman wrote: On 6/7/2014 5:23 PM, Greg Guarino
wrote:

Anyone else do that?

Always ... and time the dry fit as well. The more parts, the more time
it takes, and the more important the dry fit.

It allows you to to insure alignment of parts; the possible need for any
sub-assembly glue-ups; the time it will take to stay within the "open
time" of the glue; identify any trouble areas that may require
more/different clamps/techniques, and how many; and, most importantly,
determine the sequence of events of the operation in order to insure
that you can indeed attach the horse to the cart, in the proper order,
and all within that open time.

I've been thinking about that. I figure that I'll glue up the "ladders"
first and apply glue to four of the (10) horizontal pieces (the curved
top and bottom plus two of the "rungs"). When I dry-fit the first
"ladder" a few weeks ago I made the mistake of putting all of the dowels
in. It was a little difficult to get it apart even with no glue in the
joints. So there's probably no sane reason to glue them all; just enough
to prevent the piece from "racking" .

While the most obvious way to do the assembly would be to glue up each
of the four "faces" of the units and then attach the faces to each
other, I've been tossing around another idea in my head.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14372546854/

I think this would make the final assembly easier. (note: the bottom
shelf and the front and rear bottom rails would not be pre-assembled).
I'm thinking of putting in strips of quarter-round - attached to the
ladders - underneath the shelves to guide the shelves to their proper
locations during the assembly. I'll probably fasten the shelves with
pocket screws afterward.

Besides, if I drew it up in SketchUp, I already know exactly what it is
going to look like.

I did draw it, and (thankfully) the solid article looks remarkably like
the drawing, but many times more satisfying.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57644207411490

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57644207411490

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57644207411490

---